Worried if the cauliflower you got home has actually gone bad and you might have to throw it out? So now if you are wondering how to tell if cauliflower is bad, then you are at the right place.
We know how frustrating it might feel if you bought something that didn’t end up on the dinner table. This article will back you up with all the relevant information that you might require to know if a cauliflower has already got rotten.
Without further delay, let us help you explore all recommendations and signs that you should take into account to know if the cauliflower is in a bad state.
Let us dive right in, shall we?
Shelf-Life Of Cauliflowers
Cauliflowers have tons of vitamin nutrients stored in them and are very versatile. Generally, the shelf-life of cauliflowers cannot be determined by the sell-by date, use-by date or best before date, hence as a buyer, you have to consider the purchase date in most cases.
If you are not quite sure about how long does a cauliflower lasts, then the following points will give you an insight into the shelf-life of cauliflowers.
- A fresh cauliflower head lasts 2 to 4 days on the counter and 7 to 10 days in the fridge.
- Now, if you have cut it up and stored the florets, then it will last for 4-5 days in an airtight container. The lasting period will be similar even for cooked cauliflowers.
- Also, the storage time for a cauliflower depends on a couple of factors which are stated as follows:
- storage conditions – if the bag was vented
- The duration of the period of the head was stored before you bought it
- overall quality: checking if there were any black spots when you bought it and its texture
Signs Of Cauliflower If It Has Gone Bad
A cauliflower loses its quality fast at room temperature, so accordingly you should store it in the fridge if you do not plan to cook it within a day or two.
Now let us have a look at the signs that you should check for before buying or cooking your cauliflower and understand when is cauliflower bad.
- Mould or large cauliflower brown spots: If cauliflower is going to get worse, you will witness several black spots on cauliflower or brown spots on the outside surface of the white head portion. Once they start spreading, the whole cauliflower will start to smell and ultimately you will have to throw it out.
- Texture: A fresh cauliflower is firm and crisp. However, if you notice that your cauliflower is somehow soft or has a moist or slimy texture, you should know that this vegetable isn’t fresh anymore. You should immediately discard the vegetable for the safety of your health.
- An off-smell: If you notice a weird smell from the surface or head of the cauliflower but you haven’t stored it near any other vegetable, the cauliflower is definitely starting to get rotten. Throwing it out is the best solution here.
- You will be able to notice similar signs or changes even in cases of purple or green cauliflower. These cauliflowers are more delicate than the basic ones and these will begin to show other signs of decay as their sign.
Keep in mind the above-mentioned points to avoid buying or cooking any rotten cauliflower and understand how long is cauliflower good for consumption. Remember, any cauliflower can go bad if it is not stored properly.
Best Ways Of Storing Cauliflower
Grab a look at some of these procedures to store cauliflowers and contribute to the increment of their shelf-life.
- First, wash your cauliflower before cooking. However, it is also suggested to wash the cauliflower right after it has been bought and brought home.
- Cauliflowers can survive longer without getting moulded or getting black spots if it is stored in a cold and moist environment.
- You can store it in the fridge, however, you should keep this mind that the fridge might take care of the temperature but it surely doesn’t provide the humidity.
- So the easiest way to solve this issue is to store the whole head in a sealed plastic bag in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.
- If you are not quite sure about how long cauliflower lasts in the fridge, cauliflower may be kept frozen for 6-8 months but they must be blanched first and kept in freezer-safe containers.
Other Factors To Keep In Mind
- If you are not quite sure about how to tell if cauliflower rice is bad, you should know that the item will last till the quickest expiring ingredient in the recipe starts to expire. So, it’s better not to store the rice for a longer duration
- If you are worried about why does raw cauliflower smell bad, then the reason might be that it is slowly getting rotten. If you notice black or brown spots on the surface of the head, then discarding it is the way to go.
- Can eating bad cauliflower make you sick? It surely can. There’s no good reason why you should consume a bad cauliflower as it might cause severe health conditions and you might be regretting your decision.
- It is always suggested to maintain proper food hygiene and wash the vegetable before cooking to avoid any issues in the future.
Other than the storing methods and signs, these points should also be considered to ensure health safety and prevent any unwanted health conditions from happening.
So, the next time you go for groceries, keep in mind all these points and make the best buy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it okay to eat cauliflowers with brown spots?
For your information, if a cauliflower has brown spots on its surface, it has to be taken into account that the vegetable is getting rotten. It is better to discard it.
However, if the spots are only on the upper surface of the head, you might slice out the head portion and refrigerate the rest of this vegetable in the vegetable drawer. It is always advisable to discard the whole cauliflower and not invite any hazardous health conditions.
2. Is cauliflower with black spots bad?
If a cauliflower has a significant amount of black spots on its surface, it is best for you to know that these are the signs of spoilage. Discarding is the best solution.
If there are additional symptoms of slimy texture and off-smell, then the vegetable has totally got rotten. It is highly advisable to throw the vegetable away.
3. Should cauliflower smell?
A fresh cauliflower will never smell. An off smell is the symptom of spoilage. A cauliflower loses its quality much faster if it is on the counter than when stored in the fridge.
So, refrigerating is the best way to increase its shelf life. A cauliflower with an off smell should never be consumed, however, must be immediately discarded.
Cauliflower is one of the most popular vegetables and can amusingly be substituted for rice, potatoes and other ingredients. It has a high vitamin content and is very versatile. So now with the help of this article, you will no longer be worried about the condition of the cauliflower. You are now aware of the shelf-life and the best way to store it. Hope you had a productive read! Good luck!